Subject: Re: Spinning down SCSI disks?
To: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
From: Juergen Tritthardt <juergent@mpimf-heidelberg.mpg.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/16/2001 23:28:02
On 15 Apr 2001 eeh@netbsd.org wrote:
> =09Just wondering if there is any facility in NetBSD 1.5 to spin down SCS=
> =09disks when it goes into powersave mode? I suppose I don't mean when th=
> =09screen blanks, as that can happen even when the disk is in use, but wh=
en
> =09the disk hasn't been accessed for some time.
>=20
> =09The hard disk (salvaged from a DEC Alpha) in this Apple LC475 is rathe=
> =09noisy... It would be nice to be able to leave the system up without th=
at
> =09incessant background noise.
>=20
> I really don't think you want to do that.  Since disks usually have a
> limited number of spinups (around 10,000) you certainly don't want to=20
> use that on an old disk.

there are circumstances where it is useful, for example if you have a dual
boot machine with the two operating systems on different disks. So is
there such a facility?

=09Greetings
=09Juergen
--=20
J=FCrgen Tritthardt              Max-Planck-Institut f=FCr med. Forschung
Tel. 06221/486279                          Abt. Biomedizinische Optik
Fax. 06221/486225                       Jahnstr. 29, 69120 Heidelberg