Subject: Installation problems
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: None <dave.power@gte.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/15/2001 17:11:35
I've tried to install either gnome or kde on a fresh 1.5 system several times
over the past few days.  In every case the pkg_add returns errors indicating
that required packages are not available (e.g. gdk-pixbuf-gnome-0.10.0).
Since this is not in the packages collection for 1.5 I tried to source add
it.  OK, that problem was fixed, but now it had other problems (too many
files open or other packages not found).  In attempting to install kde (Not
version 2) it takes multiple passes with pkg_add to get it installed.
However, even after it is installed, attempts to run kdm result in errors of
the nature - undefined symbol "__vt_9execption" and "__pure_virtual".
Attempts to add kde and gnome from source fail for a number of reasons
(e.g. out of disk space - the /usr partition is 690M).

Any suggestions on how to get either gnome or kde to work?  X-windows and
most othere packages have added ok (widowmaker did not, but fvwm was good).

One other strange happening, the command "export" cannot be found...

I've been running Linux as a primary desktop since 1994, but am very new to
netbsd so any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave Power
E-Mail: dave.power@gte.net