Subject: Matrox G400 lockups
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Dokas <dokas@cs.umn.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/12/2001 22:03:12
I've recent aquired a new machine (PIII 650, 128MB, Adaptec 2940U2W
and a Matrox G400 with 16MB) to replace my trusty old Pentium 133.

I've put NetBSD 1.5 on it, pulled to -current without any problems, but
I'm having troubles getting X to work.

What happens is that I can start up the X server all by itself and it
work just fine.  But, if I launch any applications that attempt to display
something onto that X server, it displays a few rectangles and then locks
up solid (just the X server, not the OS).  Grabbing the X server with
gdb and doing a backtrace shows that the X server is locked up in
MGAStormSync() which is on line 318 of:

  /usr/xsrc/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/vga256/drivers/mga/mga_storm.c

Now, to complicate matters, this machine is a Compaq with all original
parts, including the Matrox card which seems to have been supplied
directly to Compaq by Matrox.  So, I'd have to guess that Compaq may
have requested that Matrox make some changes to the card (possibly to
the card's BIOS?  That might explain this problem...)

I've tried changing all of the PCI and AGP related BIOS setting, it still
doesn't work.  I've tried another AGP video card, an ATI Rage 128, it
works just fine with X.  I've tried XFree86 4.0.3, it also locks up.
I've even tried Windows 2000 on the machine with it's native Matrox
G400 driver it works just fine.

Anyone have any recommendations for things that I could try?  I'm
pretty close to just going out and buying an NVidia GeForce2, but
I'm cheap enough that I don't want to give up quite yet.

Paul
--
Paul Dokas                                            dokas@cs.umn.edu
Don Juan Matus:  "an enigma wrapped in mystery wrapped in a tortilla."