Subject: Re: My system won't boot
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Fuerth <fuerth@jake.bluecow.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/30/2001 12:02:19
>> Whenever I attach my Quantum AtlasIV (SCSI) 9.1GB drive, my system
>> freezes during the hardware detection process (just as it detects the
>> drive).
>>
>> Has anyone else had this problem?  Is there a known workaround?

> What SCSI controller do you have ?
> Is the drive internal or external ? Are you sure cables and terminators
> are correct ?

It's an Adaptec 2940UW SCSI<->PCI host adapter.  My AtlasIV is the
internal scsi ultra wide model.

I have two flawlessly functioning CD-ROM drives on the same scsi bus,
and the setup that wedges 1.5 boots fine and works great under 1.4.2.
The host adapter is set to automatic termination, and the last cdrom
on the narrow end of the bus has termination on, as does the atlas4
(being the only device on the wide end of the bus).

I posted this to gnats (kern/11346) when 1.5_BETA was out.. but never
heard from anyone about the issue.  The symptoms haven't changed under
the formal 1.5 release.

Thanks for your response.