Subject: Re: Building NetBSD-release (port-i386)
To: None <david.forrai@gemair.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/28/2001 19:49:17
David:

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, David Forrai wrote:

> I need to build a custom kernel so I decided to download
> NetBSD-1.5-release to get the latest stable revision.  This was about
> two weeks ago and the latest time stamp on files was March 12.  I was
> able to build the kernel fine but I could not get the entire
> distribution to make.  My first thought was to build the dependencies
> like I had to do for the kernel so I tried "make depend".  It crashed
> with the following error:
>
> /usr/src/lib/libcom_err/compile_et/compile_et
> /usr/src/lib/libasn1/../../crypto/dist/heimdal/lib/asn1/asn1_err.et
> /usr/src/lib/libcom_err/compile_et/compile_et: not found
> *** Error code 1

I recognize this problem. Luckily I have been keeping a "NetBSD
diary" this past couple months.

I tried to workaround my compile_et problems by using yacc to create new
files. But I ended up getting more errors later on which I continued to
workaround. It was a waste of a couple days.

I don't think you should use a "make depend".

I fixed my problems by doing ... (from my journal:)

  I did a make clean and updated (cvs) the netbsd-1.5 and it worked. I
  rebuilt the system (make build) and now doing "make release".

I had several "make release" problems (like floppies didn't all build
because of not enough inodes) that I did work around.

> I couldn't find any info on building NetBSD-release.  Can anyone help
> me?

The "Building and Packaging A Release" webpage is at
http://www.netbsd.org/developers/releng/build-release.html

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/