Subject: Re: screen
To: Matt Herzog <mherzog@mediaone.net>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/25/2001 16:53:31
On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 04:46:06PM -0500, Matt Herzog wrote:
> Hi.
> I just noticed that if I accidentally hit C-s
> (better known as Ctrl-s) my termie locks up entirely.
> Is there a way to disable this key combo? Can I disable
> that combo in my .kshrc?

So hit Ctrl-q to resume.

You've stumbled on "software flow control" where two machines talking
over a serial port can tell each other to pause because the receiver
cannot process more data just yet. The control-s and control-q characters
are the "XOFF" and "XON" characters.

Use the command "stty -ixon" to disable software flow control for your tty.
You need to do this on every tty you log into always, or put the stty
command in your shell startup scripts (.cshrc, .profile, whatever).

Hardware flow control is much nicer and avoids weirdness like what you
are seeing.

"Nonbelievers found it difficult to defend their position in \
    the presense of a working computer." -- a DEC Jensen paper