Subject: Re: xdm and other daemon problems
To: Ian Goldby <Ian.Goldby@mail.com>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/25/2001 22:19:59
Ian Goldby <Ian.Goldby@mail.com> writes:

>It turned out that my problem with daemons not starting properly was
>because I had previously replaced /etc/sh with a link to /etc/ksh so

odd, since ksh is supposed to be upwards-compatible with sh..
it would be nice if you could identify the problems when running
certain sh-scripts with ksh (I mean, after all, the NetBSD startup
scripts aren't particularly complicated or twisted sh scripts which
could trigger some compatibility problems in other shells...)
I have written some fairly perverted sh scripts in SysV Bourne shell
(including an interpreter for a simpler script language) and never
had any problems with pdksh, ksh{88,93} regarding (Bourne)-sh
compatibility, not with the ash-derived /bin/sh on NetBSD either...

mkb