Subject: Re: xdm and other daemon problems
To: Ian Goldby <Ian.Goldby@mail.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/24/2001 15:40:02
On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, Ian Goldby wrote:

> Sorry for so many questions recently.

Don't be, they're all good questions.

> 1) When I boot, the message comes up that the xdm daemon is starting
> (along with cron and inetd).
> 2) The normal console login prompt appears (instead of the X login widget).

You should turn the getty of, if you want xdm to be your login
manager. (sed s/on/off/ /etc/ttys.)

Of course if xdm still doesn't work, you'll have no way to log in.
(mac68k doesn't have multiple virtual consoles). In that case, you can
recover by using the debugger to shut down to single-user mode.
(Command-Pwr or the Interrupt sw., then `kill 1 <CR>c<CR>').

> 3) /var/run/xdm.pid isn't there, neither is /var/log/xdm (the error log)
> 4) top -S doesn't show xdm, nor does it show cron or inetd.
>
> As root, I execute xdm from the command line

You should start such daemons on 1.5 with "/etc/rc.d/xdm start" or
/etc/rc.d/xdm restart". This guarantees that it's being started the
same way that it would be at boot time.

> 5) X starts and the login widget appears.
> 6) I can login (provided I use failsafe mode - I probably need to fix
> .xsession)
> 7) /var/log/xdm and /var/run/xdm.pid are now present. /var/log/xdm
> shows there are no errors (although there is the usual mac68k warning
> about not being able to change the screen bit-depth.)
> 8) When I shutdown -h now, I get a warning printed up that cron and
> inetd are not running.

Not sure. It may just be that shutdown is attempting to shut them down
twice (sending cron a SIGTERM and running "/etc/rc.d/cron stop",
both). Maybe the only real problem is that the getty is fighting with
xdm for the console.

> (I also had a problem with xdm authentication, but solved that by
> setting DisplayManager._0.authorize: false in xdm-config. But might
> this create a security risk when I connect to the internet? The error
> message was XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 ID:-1 connection to "0:0" refused by
> server. I don't have a DisplayManager.keyFile file if that is anything
> to do with it. It's also possible that my system doesn't support
> XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 since I'm outside the USA.)

NetBSD/i386 Xservers and "xdm" both have the xdm auth compiled in
(U.S. export restrictions now only apply to Libya, Iran, et.al), but I
doubt if it works for the mac68k X server, even if you do create a
keyFile. You could see if the Xmac68k binary even accepts the
"-cookie" option:

    startx -- X -cookie foo

but I'm guessing "no".

Frederick