Subject: xdm and other daemon problems
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Goldby <Ian.Goldby@mail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/24/2001 21:07:05
Sorry for so many questions recently.

I've been trying to get xdm to work on a mac68k NetBSD 1.5 installation
on an LC475. I put xdm=YES into /etc/rc.conf and made a few other minor
edits to the other files in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm. Anyway, it doesn't
work, and it appears that *none* of the daemons on my machine are
running.

1) When I boot, the message comes up that the xdm daemon is starting
(along with cron and inetd).
2) The normal console login prompt appears (instead of the X login widget).
3) /var/run/xdm.pid isn't there, neither is /var/log/xdm (the error log)
4) top -S doesn't show xdm, nor does it show cron or inetd.

As root, I execute xdm from the command line
5) X starts and the login widget appears.
6) I can login (provided I use failsafe mode - I probably need to fix
.xsession)
7) /var/log/xdm and /var/run/xdm.pid are now present. /var/log/xdm
shows there are no errors (although there is the usual mac68k warning
about not being able to change the screen bit-depth.)
8) When I shutdown -h now, I get a warning printed up that cron and
inetd are not running.

So... I think my main problem is that daemons are not being started
properly. Can anyone suggest what might be wrong?

(I also had a problem with xdm authentication, but solved that by
setting DisplayManager._0.authorize: false in xdm-config. But might
this create a security risk when I connect to the internet? The error
message was XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 ID:-1 connection to "0:0" refused by
server. I don't have a DisplayManager.keyFile file if that is anything
to do with it. It's also possible that my system doesn't support
XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 since I'm outside the USA.)

Thanks.

Ian.