Subject: Sending colour codes to an xterm/rxvt
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Goldby <Ian.Goldby@mail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/24/2001 14:45:48
I'm a happy NetBSD camper, having over the last few weeks installed it
on a Mac LC475 with colour X. I just need to get the GIMP, GhostScript,
SANE, a simple word processor, and a CSS1 compliant browser (if I can
find a much less resource-hungry one than Mozilla) installed, and then
I'll have a really useful system. No more crashes or reboots!!!!!

Anyway, on an IRIX box at work, I use 'tput bold' to print my shell
prompt in bold, and 'tput sgr0' to reset back to normal. Since bold
text is rendered in yellow, this is a nice arrangement.

tput bold is not supported in NetBSD 1.5. How do I send the necessary
codes to the xterm for bold and/or colour? (I'm using ksh if that makes
any difference.) If there is any tricky stuff such as typing in control
characters, could you please explain the keystrokes necessary? I use vi
as my editor.

Thanks.

Ian