Subject: Passwords > 8 chars?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: None <markbsd@wistey.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/22/2001 20:18:18
Hi...  I'm currently running a release, binary distribution of
NetBSD/i386 1.5, and I'm having problems getting it to recognize
passwords longer than 8 characters.  When I connect with ssh or use su,
I only need to type the first 8 characters of the password; the rest
are silently ignored.  I've looked through the man pages, but the only
restriction I could find is that passwords must be shorter than
_PASSWORD_LEN.  It was kind of an unhappy surprise to find this, since
I had been relying on a very long password--rather than d!Ff!(u|T--
for root.

From the crypt() man page, it looks like there's flag to force it to
use only the first 8 characters... is this what's happening in this
case?  If so, how do I get it to stop?

Thanks!
 - Mark