Subject: Re: passwd fails for users not in wheel group
To: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@dingo.ping.net.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/21/2001 08:39:33
Laine Stump wrote
> I *must* be overlooking something really stupid... (another problem
> I've been having just came to my mind - for some reason, when I ftp
> from this machine, it always suggests the username "root" instead of
> my own username. I wonder if the two problems might be somehow
> related...)

Do you login as root first and then change the user with su?

e.g.:

# su wulf
# su -l wulf     # same as su - wulf

If so, it will exhibit the behaviour you described above.

I consider this to be a bug especially when using the -l that
requests a full login.

From the su man-page
-l      Simulate a full login.  The environment is discarded except
	for HOME, SHELL, PATH, TERM, USER, and SU_FROM.  HOME SHELL,
	and SU_FROM are modified as above.

Any comments?

cheerio Berndt
--
Name    : Berndt Josef Wulf            | +++ With BSD on Packet Radio +++
E-Mail  : wulf@ping.net.au             |    tfkiss, tnt, dpbox, wampes