Subject: Re: passwd fails for users not in wheel group
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/20/2001 20:33:27
Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net> writes:

> >(After all, I still can't even make /usr/bin/passwd work for users who
> >aren't in wheel! :-P)
>
> just curious...if passwd by itself doesn't work, what about trying
> passwd with the username of the user for whom you want to change the
> passwd?  eg, as user foo, do "passwd foo".

Oh man! Now I feel *really* stupid! In spite of my answer to Berndt,
after following Andrews suggestion and seeing that it worked, I
realized that in the cases I was testing, I *was* su-ing to root, then
su-ing back to the user I wanted to test; I just did it so
automatically that it didn't even register in my brain. Duh!

So, yeah, if I telnet directly in as that user, it works.

Anyway, this makes me believe even more that the behavior Berndt
describes is incorrect, and should be changed - at the very least it
would have prevented me from chasing phantoms for the last two days...

Thanks for giving me the smack in the side of the head that I needed,
guys!