Subject: Re: Strange routes showing up under 1.5
To: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
From: None <jonl@yubyub.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/19/2001 20:49:39
On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Charles M. Hannum wrote:

> Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 17:44:09 -0800
> From: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
> To: jonl@yubyub.net
> Cc: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>, netbsd-help@netbsd.org
> Subject: Re: Strange routes showing up under 1.5
>

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 08:39:33PM -0500, jonl@yubyub.net wrote:
> >
> > I realized this half way through deleting routes from my box, but
> > preserved the following from 'route -n show':
>
> That's only part of the output.  You didn't, e.g., show the default
> route.

Yeah, sorry, most had scrolled off the screen... again, I realized a bit
too late...

[snip]

> Those are indeed redirects.  If you consult the netstat(8) man page:
>
>      D       RTF_DYNAMIC     Created dynamically (by redirect)
>
> This is usually because one of your routes is wrong, and the system it
> points to is compensating by sending you redirects.

Hmmm... the network at this point is pretty simple.  Is there a way to 1)
ignore ICMP redirects, or 2) log who they're coming from without doing a
tcpdump for a few days?  Or is this just a great example of using ipf with
logging?

Thanks very much!

-Jon