Subject: Re: Help with Win -> NetBSD text files...
To: David Woyciesjes <DAW@yalepress3.unipress.yale.edu>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/19/2001 14:02:54
David Woyciesjes <DAW@yalepress3.unipress.yale.edu> writes:

> Simple question here, which I'll write down the answer, once I get it...
>
> Under Linux, you can use the command
> # mount -o conv=auto -t msdos /dev/fd0a /mnt
> which will automatically convert the CR-LF to a newline at the ends of lines
> in a text file.

EWWWWW!!! Putting CRLF conversion in the *kernel*?!? I'm pretty sure
NetBSD's mount_msdos doesn't have any such option (the manpage doesn't
show it).

> How can this be done for NetBSD? Or should I use some other program on
> Windoze, (other than Notepad or Wordpad) for editing files destined for my
> NetBSD system?

When I have to do something on Windows, I either use the Windows build
of emacs, or PFE (Programmer's File Editor), which can be found by
searching for "PFE" on one of the shareware/freeware sites. Both will
automatically adapt to the current line-end convention of the file
being edited, and PFE will convert back and forth by just clicking a
little button at the bottom of the window.