Subject: Re: telnetd and remote login
To: Adam Johnson <adamjapan@yahoo.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/13/2001 19:36:41
On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Adam Johnson wrote:

> I'm very new to BSD and just set up a NetBSD NAT "box" for my cable

Welcome to BSD!

> Am I going about this the wrong way?  Is telnet the best way to access this
> machine?  Where can I get information concerning these questions?  Any help
> is much appreciated!!!!!!!!

For your information, telnet sends usernames and passwords across the
network connection as plain text. In other words, this information might
be captured and then used to logon to your system.

An alternative is secure shell, because it encrypts the traffic and adds
several different authentication methods.

NetBSD 1.5 includes secure shell. To enable it to start at boot time,
simply configure the bottom of your /etc/rc.conf file like:

sshd=YES                 sshd_flags=""

Then you should be able to start it with:
   /etc/rc.d/sshd start

On your client, use ssh to connect to the server (similar to using
telnet).

You can find some information via
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/. Also, the NetBSD system has great
documentation in its manual pages. For example, to learn a lot about ssh,
type "man ssh" and "man sshd".

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/