Subject: creating a user - password problem?
To: netbsd-help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Limbach <BeLi@aventa.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/13/2001 21:09:33
Hi all!

I am trying to create a user using the useradd(8) utilitiy on my
NetBSD/1.5/i386 machine.

Creating the user looks fine, but whenever I want to login as this user I
only get "Login incorrect". This is the result without a reboot (not sure if
the is necessary, I don't think so).

This _is_ actually the case when I do _not_ use the "-p" option of
useradd(8). I would assume mthat in this case no password is set and the new
user can login without a password.

Q1: Is this correct?

Whenever I _use_ the -p <do_not_tell_you> I would expect that NetBSD will
create the user using the given password <do_not_tell_you>. This seems to be
not correct, because whenever I try to login under this scenario I get the
same error message "Login incorrect".

Q2: What happened here? I gave a password, but I can not log in? Encryption?

Whenever I set the variable in "/etc/usermgmt.conf" to some value like
<do_not_tell_you>, this also has now effect like using the "-p" option of
useradd(8).

I must say that I am actually very confused. Can please somebody explain to
me what happens?

--
MfG, Best regards, Tchau!
GP, BP, YIS                                 Bernd