Subject: PPP/Serial Problem on NetBSD 1.5 w/KAME
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: None <PilkingtonCJ@aol.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/11/2001 11:14:40
--part1_a3.1295a3d6.27dcfe70_boundary

I just installed the kame-20010305-netbsd15-snap CD on a clean PC (not an
upgrade.)

Installation went fine. I configured ppp by hand.  My modem is on /dev/tty00.

Modem dials out without a problem, ppp sends one LCP packet then the console
(standard PC console) freezes completely, cannot even switch to another
virtual console.

Server eventaully disconnects, and console un-freezes.  If I look in the
/var/log/debug (syslogd *.debug), I see a /netbsd ppp0: bad fcs near the
first LCP packet.  Also, I see that ppp is receiving LCP packets and also is
logging sent LCP packets, even though they are not being sent. It is obvious
it is not sending them, however, since the modem transmit light doesn't pulse
at all except for the first packet.

Problem is duplicatable every time, both on tty00 and dty00 (external modem)
as well as tty01 and dty01 (internal modem.)

I'm using the defaults in /dev/ttys.

Can anyone give me any direction, as I'm totally stuck.

Thanks,

Christopher J. Pilkington

--part1_a3.1295a3d6.27dcfe70_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>I just installed the kame-20010305-netbsd15-snap CD on a clean PC (not an
<BR>upgrade.)
<BR>
<BR>Installation went fine. I configured ppp by hand. &nbsp;My modem is on /dev/tty00.
<BR>
<BR>Modem dials out without a problem, ppp sends one LCP packet then the console
<BR>(standard PC console) freezes completely, cannot even switch to another
<BR>virtual console.
<BR>
<BR>Server eventaully disconnects, and console un-freezes. &nbsp;If I look in the
<BR>/var/log/debug (syslogd *.debug), I see a /netbsd ppp0: bad fcs near the
<BR>first LCP packet. &nbsp;Also, I see that ppp is receiving LCP packets and also is
<BR>logging sent LCP packets, even though they are not being sent. It is obvious
<BR>it is not sending them, however, since the modem transmit light doesn't pulse
<BR>at all except for the first packet.
<BR>
<BR>Problem is duplicatable every time, both on tty00 and dty00 (external modem)
<BR>as well as tty01 and dty01 (internal modem.)
<BR>
<BR>I'm using the defaults in /dev/ttys.
<BR>
<BR>Can anyone give me any direction, as I'm totally stuck.
<BR>
<BR>Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Christopher J. Pilkington</FONT></HTML>

--part1_a3.1295a3d6.27dcfe70_boundary--