Subject: Re: FTP install of i386-1.5 with legacy NICs
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Nigel Reed <nigel@nelgin.nu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/09/2001 09:12:04
I've only seen part of this thread so I may be going over some
stuff already mentioned.

I'm guessing the machine isn't a plug & pray compatible system.

What does it show when booting up? Does it say the network card
is not configured for some reason?

I'm not sure about the boot kernel, but I see these two entries for
EtherExpress cards. I'm not sure about these cards, but you should
be able to set the port and baseio address either with jumpers or
through software which comes with the card. Unless the card matches
what the kernel is looking, it wont find it.

ix0     at isa? port 0x300 irq 10               # EtherExpress/16
iy0     at isa? port 0x360 irq ?                # EtherExpress PRO 10 ISA

As for the 3Com cards, EtherLink isn't listed but I can list those 3C
cards that are in GENERIC.

ec0     at isa? port 0x250 iomem 0xd8000 irq 9  # 3Com 3c503 Ethernet
eg0     at isa? port 0x280 irq 9                # 3C505 ethernet cards
el0     at isa? port 0x300 irq 9                # 3C501 ethernet cards
ep*     at isa? port ? irq ?                    # 3C509 ethernet cards
ef0     at isa? port 0x360 iomem 0xd0000 irq 7  # 3C507

Hope that helps a little.

Regards
Nigel