Subject: how to print / BIOS setting for the parallel port mode
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Henry Nelson <henry@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/08/2001 22:13:54
What's needed to get a printer (Canon BJ F850) connected to the parallel
port on an i386 pc to print?  I have lpd running; there appears to be an
entry "/dev/lpt0." The kernel is configured for lpt0, and dmesg shows it.

I've tried `lptest 20 10 > /dev/lpt0` and `cat pstest > /dev/lpt0`, where
"pstest" looks like (from the FreeBSD help on printing):
    %!PS
    100 100 moveto 300 300 lineto stroke
    310 310 moveto /Helvetica findfont 12 scalefont setfont
    (Is this thing working?) show
    showpage
Sometimes the printer makes a slight click sound, but usually nothing
at all happens.

Maybe it's related, so I'll mention that the BIOS on the machine has four
settings for the parallel port mode: "PS/2 Bi-Directional," "ECP Bi-
Directional," "EPP Bi-Directional," and "Compatible."  Which of these modes
should I set the BIOS at?  So far I've tried "PS/2 Bi-Directional" and
"Compatible" without success.  TIA.

henry nelson