Subject: 3c574 PCMCIA / ifconfig: Device not configured
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Alexander Anderson <alex@galima.2y.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/04/2001 14:59:35
I was wondering if anyone could help me understand what the following lines
in dmesg mean:

  ep0 at pcmcia1 function 0 port 0x400-0x41f: 3Com 3c574-TX 10/100Mbps Ethernet
  ep0: wrote 0x7ff to TX_AVAIL_THRESH, read back 0x0. Interface disabled
  ep0: couldn't configure controller

As a side note, I am trying to get NetBSD 1.5 (GENERIC) recognize a
newly purchased 3Com PCMCIA LAN card (Model 3CCFE574BT) on my laptop.

Here's what ifconfig says about it:

  # ifconfig ep0
  ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS ep0: Device not configured

And this is what dmesg tells about PCMCIA controllers if it helps:

  pcic0 at isa0 port 0x3e0-0x3e1 iomem 0xd0000-0xdffff
  pcic0: controller 0 (Cirrus PD672X) has sockets A and B
  pcic0: controller 1 (Intel 82365SL Revision 1) has no sockets
  pcmcia0 at pcic0 controller 0 socket 0
  pcmcia1 at pcic0 controller 0 socket 1
  pcic0: using irq 3 for socket events

I made sure that the kernel had support for my card (ep0) and the web
page <http://www.netbsd.org/Hardware/pcmcia.html> says that my card
should be supported. Am I missing something?

Please let me know if I can provide more info.

Thanks a million and have a nice day!