Subject: Re: Installing on old Compaq 486
To: Wouter Vijvers <woutje@chello.nl>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/02/2001 06:27:37
On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Wouter Vijvers wrote:

> > * Wouter Vijvers (woutje@chello.nl) wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > > I'm about to install NetBSD on an old Compaq 486 DX2-66 with 12 MB RAM.
> > > have a couple of questions about it's hardware:
> > >
> > > - It has a AMD PCnet ISA II (AM79C961AKC) network-card. Is this one
> > > compatible with one of the cards listed on the NetBSD site or is it not
> > > supported? (hope not)
> [snip]
>
> Ugh, I'm just about to smash my NIC to pieces (it's not mine actually, so I
> won't). This NIC should work with the le driver, as suggested by people on
> this list. I just rebuild my kernel with the lines
> nele0  at isa? port 0x200 irq 5 drq 3          # NE2100
> le*    at nele?
>
> in the config, because of this dmesg:
> isapnp0: <Compaq 10Mbps ISA Ethernet Cont, CPQAE44, CPQAE44, > port 0x200/24
> irq 5 drq 3 not configured

[snip]

It may, unfortunately, not work, although I'm pretty sure that it
should.  Perhaps someone with intimate knowledge of the amd drivers could
shed some light on this.  Were you able to verify the setup/port/dma/irq
of the card using any DOS based configuration tools?  There may be
parameters there which can be tweaked...

> I think I'll just put another Realtek NIC from another comp to make it work,
> but I am curious what can be done about this. If there's any other info
> about my system needed to trace the problem, just mail me.

Definitely another option... dmesgs of a boot may help, especially when or
where exactly it fails.

-
Jon
 - The opinions expressed are not necesarily those of my employer.
   "I wonder how many people actually read my .sig?"