Subject: Re: Installing on old Compaq 486
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Wouter Vijvers <woutje@chello.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/02/2001 12:18:34
> * Wouter Vijvers (woutje@chello.nl) wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I'm about to install NetBSD on an old Compaq 486 DX2-66 with 12 MB RAM.
> > have a couple of questions about it's hardware:
> >
> > - It has a AMD PCnet ISA II (AM79C961AKC) network-card. Is this one
> > compatible with one of the cards listed on the NetBSD site or is it not
> > supported? (hope not)
[snip]

Ugh, I'm just about to smash my NIC to pieces (it's not mine actually, so I
won't). This NIC should work with the le driver, as suggested by people on
this list. I just rebuild my kernel with the lines
nele0  at isa? port 0x200 irq 5 drq 3          # NE2100
le*    at nele?

in the config, because of this dmesg:
isapnp0: <Compaq 10Mbps ISA Ethernet Cont, CPQAE44, CPQAE44, > port 0x200/24
irq 5 drq 3 not configured

In addition to that (although I think this was superfluous), I put a line
devlogic        le      CPQAE44         0       Compaq 10Mbps ISA

in the file "/sys/dev/isapnp/isapnpdevs" and did a "make -f
Makefile.isapnpdevs". Then I build the kernel and booted it. Unfortunately,
I can't find the dmesg anymore, but I know it just stopped the boot at
"isapnp0: read port 0x2.." (I don't remember the exact port). This is the
point after which the GENERIC kernel gives the above "not configured" line.
All the compiling and configging was done on another machine, but this
shouldn't matter, right?

I think I'll just put another Realtek NIC from another comp to make it work,
but I am curious what can be done about this. If there's any other info
about my system needed to trace the problem, just mail me.

Greetings,
Wouter