Subject: Re: Common Unix Printing System
To: None <ein@netvigator.com>
From: Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/01/2001 20:42:03
Clarence Chan <ein@netvigator.com> writes:

> I would like to know if there is anyone using the Common Unix Printing
> System (http://www.cups.org/).  I have tried to configure it without any
> success.  Can anyone using the same software show me the steps and some
> examples to follow.  Thanks.  My system is i386-current.

What problems have you been experiencing with the configuration?  What
type of printing network are you trying to set up?

For my local NetBSD/i386-current with a HP LaserJet 3200 attached to
/dev/lpt0, I installed print/cups, print/cupsomatic,
print/cupsomatic-ppds, print/xpp and all of their dependencies.  Then
I added myself to the "sys" group so that I could administer the
printers with my userid via the web interface.  I copied
/usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/cups to /etc/rc.d/cups so that CUPS would start up
every time, then did /etc/rc.d/cups to start the scheduler.  Then, I
fired up netscape and pointed to http://localhost:631/ and filled in
the forms as prompted to associate the correct driver with my printer.
Then I did "xpp file.txt" which popped up a dialog box so I could
select the printer and paper options, then sent the job to my printer.

I'd like to help, but I need more information.

	Cheers,

     -- Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
        Department of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University
        http://www.stat.cmu.edu/~lamj/