Subject: Re: Installing on old Compaq 486
To: Wouter Vijvers <woutje@chello.nl>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/28/2001 14:24:31
On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Wouter Vijvers wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm about to install NetBSD on an old Compaq 486 DX2-66 with 12 MB RAM. I
> have a couple of questions about it's hardware:
>
> - It has a AMD PCnet ISA II (AM79C961AKC) network-card. Is this one
> compatible with one of the cards listed on the NetBSD site or is it not
> supported? (hope not)

Try the le driver for the ne2100 chip (I think it's the le at ne*).  I
have a cubix machine which has an integrated 79c960, and after finding
ports, drq, irq, etc... and mod'ing the ne/le lines, they work just dandy.

> - I've got two HDD's of about 420MB (Quantum and Seagate). Is it possible to
> let a partition run over the two disks? Or should I just keep it simple and
> for example mount /usr on the first one and /usr/src on the second one?

Well, it's probably simplest to just use the two disks as they are (/ and
/home on one, /usr on another, etc...), but you could experiment with ccd
to join two partitions into one logical big one.  It wouldn't be
redundant, but it would allow you to stretch a large partition over two
smaller ones.  'man ccd' for help on this.

> - It has an interface-card (ISA) that holds things like the parallel, serial
> and IDE ports/busses. Can I expect problems with this thing?

Don't expect trouble, but if you do run into problems, netbsd-help and
port-i386 are here to help you.

Hope this helps,

-
Jon
 - The opinions expressed are not necesarily those of my employer.
   "I wonder how many people actually read my .sig?"