Subject: Re: libdl and building ogg vorbis
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/27/2001 23:44:03
> > I am trying to build an ogg vorbis decoder/player.
> >
> > Currently I am trying to configure vorbis-tools-1.0beta. (I already built
> > libvorbis, libao, and libogg.)

>   % man 3 dlfcn

Thanks. I realized this later when I did saw "dlsym" in the code and I did
a "man dlsym".

> > Anyone else use ogg vorbis under NetBSD?
>
> yes. the beta3 version builds from pkgsrc and runs fine on netbsd/alpha
> 1.4x.

So I guess vorbis_nightly_cvs-20000818 is beta3. Yeah -- the package works
for me! But still I want to use the newest code. The patches/changes for
the package don't seem to applicable for the beta4 -- it appears that many
things have changed.

> ogg vorbis beta4 has been out for 1 day. is that what you're building?

Yes -- libao-0.6.0, libvorbis-1.0beta4, libogg-1.0beta4 and
vorbis-tools-1.0beta4.

After a bunch of minor changes, I was able to get these to build. And I
can use the ogg123 decoder to convert a .ogg file to a .wav file (which I
can play with splay). I can't get ogg123 to play directly. (The pkgsrc
version does play directly.)

If anyone is interested in the details of my attempts, they can be found
in the vorbis user and devel mailing list archives.
 http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis-dev/index.html
 http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis/index.html

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/