Subject: Re: Regarding XFree
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
From: Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh@cse.iitd.ernet.in>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/26/2001 17:50:30
Hi,

I finally figured out what was wrong, and why I couldn't run X on my
machine.  Here's what:

> If you could collect the error output from startx, and post that, that
> would help.

I did that.  When I just run startx, it gives an error saying that it
can't find any screen to connect to, but when I ran "script" and than
startx, I got the following:

(--) checkDevMem: warning: failed to open /dev/mem and /dev/xf86
        (No such file or directory)
        linear framebuffer access unavailable

Fatal server error:
xf86MapVidMem: Address 0xffef0000 outside allowable range

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown). <<

Generally I only get the last line (marked with a <<).  This struck me as
possibly being a problem with securelevel (I was using securelevel 1), and
so lowered that and re-tried.  And this time it clicked!

Is this normal ?  I mean, if I want to use securelevel 1 atleast, then I
won't be able to use X ?

Regards.
__
Rakhesh Sasidharan	rakhesh at cse.iitd.ac.in