Subject: Re: Citrix ICA Client
To: Laine Stump <laine@laine.org>
From: Tim Thibault <thibault@sk.sympatico.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/25/2001 16:56:50
Laine Stump wrote:

> Tim Thibault <thibault@sk.sympatico.ca> writes:
>
> > I can't get into the normal netbsd-help archives today, but when I go to the
> > backup server at geocrawler.com and do a search, I can't find anything from
> > you about the ICA client installation. Can you dig through your archives and
> > see if you can find any instructions you might have?
>
> Here's a copy of David Brownlee's reply to my original mail on Aug. 15
> last year. The original didn't immediately pop up, so I'm not sure
> where it is; possibly I didn't save it for some reason.
>
> Note that this information was based on a pre-release version of ICA
> client, so there *may* be other issues. At the same time as I sent
> this email, I also sent mail to a contact at Citrix, but he never
> replied.
>
> > I thought some of you might be interested to know that I just tried
> > installing the Citrix MetaFrame client for Linux on NetBSD/i386 1.5_ALPHA,
> > and it runs just fine. Installation gave only a few minor problems:
> >
>         Excellent news!
>
> > 1) The check for "Linux)" in the "setupwfc" script had to be changed to
> > "Linux|NetBSD)".
> >
> > 2) the "hinst" script uses "/bin/true" and "/bin/false" instead of just
> > "true" and "false", which causes a failure of the script.
> >
> > 3) "hinst" checks for netscape in /usr/local instead of /usr/pkg.
> >
> > Now those of you who occasionally need to access a Windows application, but
> > don't want to have an entire machine dedicated to each person in such a
> > predicament, you can just run the MetaFrame/NT server on one machine, and
> > multiple people can open windows to that machine from their NetBSD / X
> > desktops. (almost as if that server was running a *real* OS! ;-)
> >
> > Any interest in a package for this? If so, what category should it go in?
> > (I'm guessing "net", since that's where VNC is, and it does a similar
> > thing, but for one user at a time.)
> >
>         Definitely - net sounds good. Could you feed the diffs back to
>         Citrix, on principle :)
>
> > (P.S. The MetFrame client can be freely downloaded, but the server costs money.)

Thanks a lot. I have it working now.

I actually downloaded the rpm for Citrix - Linux and ran rpm2pkg and then went into
the /usr/lib/ICAClient directory that was created. I then ran ./wfcmgr from within
that dir and it worked. I did originally try to install the tar version, with no
lock. I just copied and pasted the linux section to the NetBSD section in setupwfc. I
then ran setupwfc. This may have done something previous to running rpm2pkg, so I
don't know if rpm2pkg would have worked without the initial setupwfc attempt.

I am cc'ing this e-mail to the NetBSD-help mailing list for others as well.

Thank you,
Tim