Subject: Re: pppd problem
To: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/23/2001 22:19:43
"Kevin P. Neal" <kpneal@pobox.com> writes:

> On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 07:31:25AM +0800, Clarence Chan wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > THe pppd works for me for a long time.  However,  I found out that there
> > is a little problem of it.  The error is
> >
> > ================error=============
> > pc135# ping b1
> > PING b1 (208.151.73.70): 56 data bytes
> > ping: sendto: No buffer space available
> > ping: sendto: No buffer space available
>
> Well, either you ran out of buffer space or you hit the other resource
> shortage (that I can't remember now).

I'm guessing it means that there is something "bad" about the
connection which prevents the modem from sending any packets, so the
send queue fills up.

> I get nailed by this every so often. I keep meaning to write a script
> to check for it and bounce my connection.

Yep, when the line conditions degrade, that's about all you can do.

Of course, if LQM (Line Quality Monitoring) is working properly, pppd
should notice this condition itself and cycle the line. Have you tried
watching tcpdump on your ppp interface to see if LQM messages are
being sent/received?