Subject: Re: Regarding XFree
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
From: Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh@cse.iitd.ernet.in>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/23/2001 22:13:14
Thanks a lot for your detailed help ... cleared a lot of things.

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Richard Rauch wrote:

> Don't use ``X'' to start X.  Use startx.  Here's how I normally start
> mine:
>
>   startx -- -bpp 16

Yes, that's what I ususally use to start X.  My XF86Config file is the one
I use on my Free and OpenBSD partitions on the same machine, and that for
the same version of XFree86.  SO I am assuming that my XF86Config file is
working right.  I had tried startx first, but that gave some error of not
being able to find any screens (I am not on that machine now ... I shall
run startx once more, and send the error after I get to it).  So I tried
xinit, but that too failed.  Assuming they all call X in the end, I tried
X to see whether that works, and that is when I got the above problem.

> Alternatively, as another person has suggested, you can run XDM (which
> will let you log in under XDM, at a graphical console, rather than at a
> normal text login: prompt).  There are three reasons that I don't use XDM:

I shall try and see if xdm works here ... but since xdm also calls X,
and X has problems, will it work ?

> Since I'm using NetBSD/i386 1.5 (i.e., my system has virtual consoles),
> only one of those reasons really applies to me in more than a historic
> sense.  And even that one isn't a terribly good reason.  But, then again,
> there's no terribly good reason to NOT use the standard text login.  (^&

:)

Regards.
__
Rakhesh Sasidharan	rakhesh at cse.iitd.ac.in