Subject: Re: resolver problems in emul-linux?
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Fuerth <fuerth@sqlpower.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/22/2001 21:11:20
On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 09:33:55PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> > Perhaps the 60-second delay is due to rdns problems in the linux
> > resolver..
> >
> 	Possible - can you tcpdump the traffic between your box and the
> 	remote system. Maybe run named in debug mode and/or have it on
> 	a remote box so you can see the traffic there too.

Ok, tcpdump gave me insight into the problem, which is now resolved.
Whenever the java.net.Socket() constructor is called, java tries to
connect to UDP 56 on the loopback interface.  It repeats this process
20 times (at 5-second intervals) before giving up and creating the
socket anyway.

Running rpcbind solves the delay problem.  But I still wonder why this
is necessary.. maybe someone on this list knows.

Thanks for your help!

Jonathan Fuerth