Subject: "weird" floppy installation failure
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Henry Nelson <henry@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/17/2001 16:14:55
I'm trying to install on a 4MB machine using the split sets on
floppy, but the thing fails when I do it manually.  I do:

mount -t msdos /dev/fd0a /mnt2
cp /mnt2/base.* .
umount /mnt2

It *seems* to be working okay, but after 3 to 4 cycles, I get a message
"no such file" after the copy step.  After I do the umount and mount,
it starts copying again.  What's "weird" is that actually the seeming
failure is the only time it is succeeding.

Looking at the files that have actually been copied, I find big gaps
between where I got the "no such file" message.  For example, all the
files on the first floppy (base.a[a-f]) are in /mnt, but the files from
base.ag to base.ax are nowhere to be seen.  Then there's suddenly
base.ay to base.bd.

So I started putting in disks at random and trying `ls /mnt2' to see
what is going on, and low and behold it keeps telling me that the
contents of some previous disk is there, despite the fact that I've
done a umount/mount.  The floppy access lamp doesn't even turn on.

Is it the machine; is it me?  What's going on?  It's as if some cache
is not being updated.

henry nelson