Subject: Re: amendment to using winNT to make bootable NetBSD CD
To: Vince Yeo <vinceyeo@mail.com>
From: None <Federico_Lupi@mail.datasys.it>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/12/2001 10:57:11
Vince Yeo <vinceyeo@mail.com> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> just to inform you that i made a mistake when i mentioned about burning
> the i386cd.iso into the contents of the CD. with Nero the iso image file
> was not burned in correctly and so even though the cd was bootable with
> boot-big.fs i doubt it was usable for installing the full OS. until i
> find out how Nero can burn in the correct mapping directories of the
> image iso file it would not be possible to burn a cd using nero.

As others have pointed out the iso file was already bootable.  The iso
file is an _image_ of the CD so I doubt that you can mix it with
boot-big.fs.  On one CD you should burn one iso file, unless you want
your iso file to appear as a regular file in the CD.  As Richard Rauch
said:
    For whatever it's worth, i386cd.iso should already have been
    bootable, I think.  You should only have needed boot-big.fs if you
    were building your CD from the various .tgz sets.  Probably
    boot-big.fs was already used as the boot-image by the i386cd.iso.
    It's not 100% clear to me whether your bootable CD now has the
    fileSYSTEM described by i386cd.iso, or if it has the FILE
    i386cd.iso on it.  Properly burned, the NetBSD install CD should
    contain a bunch of new files (mostly *.tgz files, I think), in a
    layer or few of directories.

> the correct or easier method would be to get FILE2CD.EXE from
> http://www.goldenhawk.com/freeware.htm under the MSDOS downloads.
> just run file2cd on all the iso files and burn them into the CD and you
> would see the directories placed properly as opposed to using Nero.

Your link points to CDRWIN, which can be successfully used to burn an
iso image on a CD: you can get a working copy of the NetBSD CD with
it.  The version of Easy CD Creator that I used some time ago was not
able to burn an iso image to a CD unless it was created by itself.  I
have not tried Nero.

The problem under Windows is the creation of an iso image (Rockridge)
from the .tgz files.  If the cdrecord port to Windows has mkisofs too
the problem should be solved.  Thanks to collver@linuxfreemail.com for
the information.

Federico