Subject: Re: amendment to using winNT to make bootable NetBSD CD
To: Vince Yeo <vinceyeo@mail.com>
From: None <collver@linuxfreemail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/11/2001 09:45:08
On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 12:03:33PM +0800, Vince Yeo wrote:
> hi all,
>
> just to inform you that i made a mistake when i mentioned about burning
> the i386cd.iso into the contents of the CD. with Nero the iso image file
> was not burned in correctly and so even though the cd was bootable with
> boot-big.fs i doubt it was usable for installing the full OS. until i
> find out how Nero can burn in the correct mapping directories of the
> image iso file it would not be possible to burn a cd using nero.
>
> the correct or easier method would be to get FILE2CD.EXE from
> http://www.goldenhawk.com/freeware.htm under the MSDOS downloads.
> just run file2cd on all the iso files and burn them into the CD and you
> would see the directories placed properly as opposed to using Nero.

I have another idea... cdrecord has been ported to Windows NT, and I have
used the NT port to burn CD's.  The advantages over nero are that cdrecord
is free (open source) software, and that one could write a single set of
instructions that work in both Unix and NT.

The a precompiled NT port of cdrecord can be downloaded from:
ftp://cdrecord.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/win32/cdrtools-1.10a04-win32-bin.zip

I don't know how well the NT cdrecord works with ATAPI drives, if at all.

Ben
--
"I will protect you from your visions to save you from delusions.
 I will protect you from ideals to save you from defeat." -Covenant