Subject: Re: serial mouse problem
To: Alexander Jossifov , netbsd-help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/11/2001 10:06:43
The kernel doesn't do much with mice.  It does nothing at all with serial
mice.  (^&  If you have it working under X, then that's as much as you are
likely to do with it, with a stock NetBSD system.

(For certain non-serial mice, the kernel would notice it and tie it to
wsmouse, if you so configure your kernel.  However, there is no sane way
to find out what's attached to a serial port.  As I understand the
rationale, if the kernel just sent out random data, it might go to a
printer, or confuse a modem, or appear as garbage (or even
display-mode-changing escape codes!) on a terminal, for instance.  You are
pretty much responsible for telling the system what you have hanging off
of your serial ports.)

If you have another program that can use serial mouse data, however,
there's nothing stopping you from running that program on /dev/tty00 when
X isn't trying to read the mouse.

Short answer: You're not doing anything wrong, as far as I know.  Don't
worry, be happy.  (^&

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu