Subject: Re: PCI modem support
To: Thomas Miller <thomas.miller@lycos.com>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/10/2001 19:22:35
On Sat, Feb 10, 2001 at 11:01:49PM -0400, Thomas Miller wrote:

 > Yes, I do have the NetBSD-1.5 i386 kernel sources and I have built a
 > kernel which works, although I didn't change much from GENERIC.  So,
 > notwithstanding that the LTMODEM documentation says a UART is there,
 > how do we tell whether there really is a UART?

Okay -- what we need to do is dump the PCI configuration info for
the device.

So, you first want to build a kernel with DDB and with a larger
kernel message buffer.  The options you want:

options 	DDB
options 	MSGBUFSIZE=65536

...for a 64K message buffer -- that oughta be enough.

Run config, build that kernel, and boot it directly into DDB
using the "-d" flag passed to the kernel, i.e., at the boot
block:

> boot netbsd -d

You'll get to the kernel debugger.  You want to enable PCI config
space dumping.

db> w pci_config_dump 1
db> c

There will be a lot of information --- get it with dmesg and mail it
to me.

 > Thanks, Jason, you are such a great guy to help me on this.  Please
 > keep in mind that, if getting the LTMODEM running becomes too much
 > work, I can exchange the LTMODEM for another kind which already is
 > supported.

No problem, glad to help.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>