Subject: Re: Changes to .conf files
To: Eric J. Feldhusen <ejfeldhu@mtu.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/08/2001 08:45:36
On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Eric J. Feldhusen wrote:

> How do I apply changes I've made to various .conf files, without
> rebooting the machine?  For example, if I make changes to my rc.conf
> or inetd.conf or dhcpd.conf, what's the next step to getting those
> changes activated?  I'm running the mac68k port of NetBSD 1.5.

/etc/rc.conf is only read at boot time, but you can start any daemons
you activated there manually, at any time. /etc/inetd.conf is re-read
whenever inetd gets a SIGHUP -- you should be able to accomplish that
on NetBSD-1.5 with "/etc/rc.d/inetd reload", else "kill -HUP `cat
/var/run/inetd.pid", which works on older systems, too. Dhcpd just
exits in response to a SIGHUP, so you must kill and restart it to
activate a new config. You could do that with "/etc/rc.d/dhcp restart".

Frederick