Subject: Re: Strange mountd and NFS export behavior, NetBSD/i386 1.5.
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/07/2001 12:13:25
On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 03:54:35PM -0500, Brian Chase wrote:

> > I tried stoping and restarting mountd, in addition to initially shutting
> > down mountd, nfsd, and then rpcbind.  That was before I realized that it
> > was just a problem with mountd and not the NFS subsystem in general.
> > Other systems which already had home mounted were fine.
> >
> > I tried running mountd with the -d option, but that really didn't give any
> > useful info.  The output was extremely terse.
> >
> > FWIW, the server's filesystem (oreo:/home) is a large LFS filesystem
> > (~60GB). Earlier this morning I rebooted the system.  This cleared the
> > problem.  I think there may be something funny going on between LFS (maybe
>
> Ho, don't NFS-export an LFS filesystem ! This won't work for now.
> The cleaner things in the back of the NFS daemon, which confuses it.
> You can eventually corrupt your filesystem this way.

Okay, that's fair.  I suspected the problem might be related to the
lfs_cleanerd.  However, don't you think it would be good if either the
LFS related man pages or perhaps the NFS or exports pages would make
mention of this?

The 1.5 release kind of made a big deal about the inclusion of LFS.  It'd
be nice to have at least gotten a "BTW, NFS exporting of this filesystem
type is ill-advised."

-brian.
--- Brian Chase | bdc@world.std.com | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ -----
               But enough talk about serious science.