Subject: what does pkgsrc do when a newer binary/library is already installed
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Henry Nelson <henry@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/07/2001 10:18:26
I built and installed the latest openssl, but some packages use an older
version of openssl in their build.  I have the same situation with other
libraries like libintl and libz, and some applications with site-specific
hacks.  Do I need to worry about pkgsrc overwriting the newer one with the
last one (possibly older) used for the building of some other package?

Actually, my real question may be: is only the target package installed,
e.g., fetchmail, or are all the programs and libraries used to build the
target package, e.g., libssl and libcrypto, also installed.  I build and
install everything in /opt, including pkgsrc ("LOCALBASE= /opt" in
/etc/mk.conf), so if this is the case, I'll have to change that habit.

Another related question I have about pkgsrc is that one application uses
"make-3.78.1.tar.gz" while another uses "make-3.79.1.tar.gz," so I end up
pulling down both of these off of my file server and building them both.
No big deal, but it seems rather inefficient.  Is there some setting in
mk.conf that I should be using to have packages test for the latest
available version?  My meaning is that I would build a suite of the latest
utilities before starting on the various packages.  This is of particular
significance with large packages like perl that I have to install before
pkgsrc itself because of space limitations on some older machines.

TIA

henry nelson