Subject: Re: FTP
To: LeRoy C. Miller III <qball@ansic.net>
From: Mipam <mipam@ibb.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/05/2001 09:30:56
On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 12:35:18PM -0500, LeRoy C. Miller III wrote:
> I have a windows machine setup behind my ipf/ipnat, I have a class that
> requires I use norton textra / connect.net (an english paper writing program)
> which uses FTP, but doesn't support passive FTP :(
>
> I need to somehow set it up, so the windows box can use this program with
> nat/ipf, I had the bright idea of somehow setting up ipf/ipnat so that any
> connection from nortons ftp, would be forwarded to the win box (just from that
> IP) on the normal 20/21 port, but couldn't figure out how this ruleset should
> be setup, if even possible, without distrubing traffic from any other site.

Active ftp and ipf/ipnat have been discussed much on the ipf list
but also a nice section can be found on the ipf site itself.
http://coombs.anu.edu.au/ipfilter/

Check it out there how to resolve the matter with active ftp.
No additional ipf rules are needed for your situation is concerning a client.
For ipnat you got to add the proxy port ftp rule before all other ipnat rules.
How it helps,

Mipam.