Subject: /sparc 1.5: can't get "instfs.tgz" onto a floppy
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Henry Nelson <henry@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/05/2001 11:58:31
I've been trying to get "instfs.tgz" (also, "disk2.fs" available from
other mirrors) to go onto a floppy, but it is a no go.  I've tried
three different disks, including a brand new one right out of the box.

I get all V's with fdformat, but regardless of what bs= is set to, dd
stops with the error "dd: /dev/rfd0a: Invalid argument."  At bs=36k
recommended in INSTALL.html, only 1363968 bytes are transferred.  All
three of the floppies tried stopped at the same place.  At bs=512, it
goes as far as 1381888.  "instfs.tgz" is 1382238 bytes.

The boot disk went onto a floppy without problem and works great, but
as would be expected, the install chokes on the 2nd disk.

Anyone had the same problem?  Know what the workaround is?  TIA

henry nelson