Subject: Re: BIND 9.1.0 and unproven-pthreads-0.17nb1
To: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
From: Claude Marinier <claude.marinier@dreo.dnd.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/02/2001 10:55:11
I have been running BIND 9.1.0 with unproven-pthreads 0.17nb1 on the
backup DNS server. I not running it as root (had some fun with the run
directory). I have not had any problems so far.

I expect that the above mentioned pthreads package is called 'unproven'
because it is not Chris Provenzano's version (though it based on his
code). The low version number of the package. however, encourages caution.

I have two questions (perhaps Michael Graff can respond to the first one).

 1) How solid is this threads package?

 2) What do I lose if I build BIND without threads?

Thanks.

--
Claude Marinier, Information Technology Group    claude.marinier@dreo.dnd.ca
Defence Research Establishment Ottawa (DREO)    (613) 998-4901  FAX 998-2675