Subject: Re: BIND 9.1.0 and unproven-pthreads-0.17nb1
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Mipam <mipam@ibb.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/01/2001 12:09:16
On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 11:10:39PM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
> I'm not against disabling the VERSION.BIND stuff in the chaos class,
> that's rubbish - but don't for a second think that by doing so you're
> any less likely to be vulnerable to a future exploit - you aren't.
> (except in the one in a hundred billion chance that the 10 lines or
> so of the VERSION.BIND handling code is the source of the problem).

I wasnt mentioning this last thing as part of a security messure.
It doenst protect you from any kind of bug etc indeed.
And more likely script kiddies will try an exploit anyway.
Perhaps it's nice to say you're running a 4 version instead of the 8 you run.
Just an idea, that what i mostly do.
Anyway, with a little polling on it, ppl will find out
very quickly what version is really being run.
Bye,

Mipam.