Subject: install: INSTALL.ps: No such file or directory
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/31/2001 13:57:12
For the past several days I have been trying to do a "make release" using
1.5.1_ALPHA (under i386).

My latest problem:

 cd /usr/src/etc/../distrib/notes && make release
 release ===> i386
 install -r -p -c         -o root -g wheel -m 444 INSTALL.ps
/usr/src/netbsd/release/.
 install: INSTALL.ps: No such file or directory
 *** Error code 1

I do have an INSTALL.ps file under /usr/src/distrib/notes/i386. I also
tried with copying it to notes/.

When I run it manually it worked:
 $ cd i386/
 $ install -r -c -o root -g wheel -m 444 INSTALL.ps /usr/src/netbsd/release/.

But then the "make release" doesn't work again.

I had a feeling that some makefile is changing to a wrong directory.

So I added a '@pwd' to the Makefile.inc and I see it is going to:
/usr/obj/distrib/notes/i386

But no INSTALL.* files there.

(I also tried with the latest Makefile.inc file.)

So I removed the file from i386. And I did a "make release" but same
problem again. Then I did a "make" and it built in and placed in the
/usr/obj/distrib/notes/i386 directory.

Then "make release" worked for INSTALL.ps but then didn't work for
INSTALL.txt.

"make release" doesn't create the INSTALL.* files if they exist.

"make" will only create and place the INSTALL files under the /usr/obj
directory if they don't already exist in the src/distrib/notes/i386
directory. If they do exist in the src directory then they will not be
rebuilt and placed in the obj directory.

To get this to work (my workaround):
- move (or delete) the /usr/src/distrib/notes/i386/INSTALL.* files
- run "make" under /usr/src/distrib/notes
- then run "make release" under /usr/src/distrib/notes

(And 30 minnutes later, a "make release" under /usr/src has got past this
part.)

Any ideas on how I can get this Makefile.inc to build and place the
INSTALL.* files into the obj directory when doing a "make release"?

Thanks,

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/