Subject: Strange networking problem
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Zach Fine <zach@xdsl014.serv.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/29/2001 11:50:00
I've been waiting months for a DSL connection down here in sunny LA,
and in the meantime I figured I'd get my Mac (running MacOS9.0.4) up
on the net by connecting it and my iopener (a weird little PC running
NetBSD 1.5 (GENERIC), with ipf and IPNat and a USB-ethernet adapter)
to my 100BT switch.

So far so good, I can actually establish a ppp connection to my ISP
with the iopener's modem, and can then ftp, telnet, and make http
connections from the Mac to the internet at large.

But the thing I can't figure out is that I can't make any such
connections from my Mac to my iopener, and they're directly connected
to one another on the same LAN and are obviously
communicating. Whenever I try to establish an ftp or telnet connection
from the Mac (at 192.168.1.2) to the iopener (at 192.168.1.1), I'm
told instantly that the connection was refused. However I can ping the
iopener from the Mac (using a piece of Mac software called
interarchy).

To avoid including a ton of configuration info in this message, I've
instead placed the output of 'ifconfig -a', and the /etc/hosts and
/etc/ipnat.conf files from the iopener at
http://xdsl014.serv.net/netbsd/IOPENER/
hopefully whatever mistake I've made in the configuration will be
obvious to some kind soul who checks out these files.

I just don't understand how it can be possible that I can't make
connections directly from the Mac to the iopener, yet can make
connections to the internet through the iopener.

Thanks for any help or information.

-Zach Fine
czyz@serv.net