Subject: Re: How to Boot NetBSD
To: Petros Sidiropoulos <pesid@kav.forthnet.gr>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/27/2001 16:28:04
On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 05:36:34PM +0200, Petros Sidiropoulos wrote:
> hello,
>   I've just install NetBSD 1.4.2 on my computer, but i don't know how to
> boot because I install it in the second
> hard disk, and of course only the first hard  disk is bootable. Maybe if i
> could create a boot floppy but how?
> Any hints ? pls help me out.
>
> My partition table looks like this :
> wd0: (first IDE hd)
> 1 : fat32 (12GB)
> 2 : solaris (5GB)
> 3 : x86 boot (10MB)
> 4 : ext2fs (Linux) (2GB)
>
> wd1: (second IDE hd)
> 1 : NetBSD (the fresh installation but bootless for now) (6GB)
> 2: ext2fs (1GB)
> 3: GNU/Hurd (800MB)
> 4: Linux swap (200MB)

First, take a look at

http://www.de.netbsd.org/Ports/i386/faq.html#dual_boot

I haven't tried OS-BS for 2nd disk, but I suspect it works, but either way
the second method using NetBSD's mbr_bootsel is meant to boot from any
partition on any disk..

From mbr(8):

     Bootselector  The bootselecting MBR contains configurable code that will
                   present the user with a simple menu, allowing a choice be-
                   tween partitions to boot from, and hard disks to boot from.
                   The choices and default settings can be configured through
                   fdisk(8).

Good luck,

Patrick