Subject: Re: /dev/mem: Permission denied - what have I done?
To: David Chapman <dchapman@CS670402-A.gvcl1.bc.wave.home.com>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/26/2001 21:38:56
David Chapman <dchapman@CS670402-A.gvcl1.bc.wave.home.com> writes:

>I ran ipcs, and there was no message queues, over 60 items shared
>memory, and no semaphores.  How do I tell if these are left over?  Will

60 shmem identifiers are quite a lot, imho, since X itself usually
doesn't use them, unless a client uses the XSHM extension (like many
of the "modern" desktop environments do, to speed up their pathetic
performance), I'd say they're all used by Gnome (which you said you
were running).  Rebuild your kernel with more shmem segments and
try again, if the problem persists.  It might also be a bug that
Gnome doesn't unregister some which it doesn't use anymore (I'm not
proficient with the XSHM API) and only the X server cleans them up
at exit.  But then again, maybe gnome just needs so many at all the
time.

mkb