Subject: Re: xterm, screen size, and SMART
To: Claude Marinier <claude.marinier@dreo.dnd.ca>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/26/2001 09:16:28
On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Claude Marinier wrote:
> When I run pine locally on the workstation, it fills just over half the
> window (looks like 24 rows). The output from `echo $TERM` is 'xterm'.
> Other programs (vim, less) behave the same way, i.e. they use 40 rows
> through ssh on the server and 24 locally.

Sometimes the environment variables LINES (and COLUMNS) are set.

Pine is probably using this information. For example:
 ./pico/osdep/term.inf:  ttnm = getenv("TERM");
 ./pico/osdep/term.inf:  er = getenv("LINES");
 ./pico/osdep/term.inf:  ec = getenv("COLUMNS");

In your case, maybe it is being set or used differently.

Try 'echo $LINES' when logged in locally and then again remotely.

On my NetBSD box, the console is 25 lines.
When I open an rxvt (or xterm) window it defaults to 24 lines, but if I
make it bigger then the xterm changes this variable.
 rainier:~$ echo $LINES
 47

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/