Subject: xterm, screen size, and SMART
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Claude Marinier <claude.marinier@dreo.dnd.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/26/2001 11:54:37
Hi,

I am composing this message on a server (NetBSD 1.5/i386) with pine. I got
to the server with ssh from a workstation (NetBSD 1.5/i386) running KDE
1.1.2 and Konsole 0.9.11 set to '80x40 (xterm)'. I use bash 2.04. The
output from `echo $TERM` is 'xterm'. Pine fills the window (40 rows). This
is great!

When I run pine locally on the workstation, it fills just over half the
window (looks like 24 rows). The output from `echo $TERM` is 'xterm'.
Other programs (vim, less) behave the same way, i.e. they use 40 rows
through ssh on the server and 24 locally.

I do not know what is going on here. Help!

On a non-technical note, assuming some of you are system administrators,
can someone help me find sample S.M.A.R.T. goals for this job?

I am on contract here at the government and my employer is implementing
formal performance management. I need to develop S.M.A.R.T. goals for the
team (seven of us). We manage Windows desktops and servers, Solaris and
other Unix systems, VMS systems, printers, etc. Suggestions so far include
getting a problem tracking system and user surveys.

I hope no one is offended by the non-technical, non-NetBSD question.

Thanks for your help.

--
Claude Marinier, Information Technology Group    claude.marinier@dreo.dnd.ca
Defence Research Establishment Ottawa (DREO)    (613) 998-4901  FAX 998-2675