Subject: Re: backscrolling on virtual consoles
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/23/2001 22:10:06
Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net> writes:

>>There's really nothing unnatural :) SLOCK and PGUP/DN are really close,
>>and CTRL+PGUP/DN might be used for something else. I prefere the
>>scroll-lock solution
>
>*yours* might be.  mine aren't.  my laptop activates scroll-lock by me
>pressing fn-f10 (which is almost two handed), and the pgup/pgdn keys
>are at the right edge of the keyboard.

Notebooks aren't the only keyboards which probably have some kind
of "unusab^Wunusual" keyboard layout...
I mean, surely the ideal solution for netbsd is the one which supports
the largest set of existing keyboards, I don't know right now if Suns or
older DEC gear (with lk2xx/4xx keyboards) even have a scroll-lock key,
while most have control and something like pgup/pgdown (sometimes labelled
prev/next).  I mean, wscons doesn't run only on i386, or am I totally
off the track with that assumption?  Ok, you could use a different key
on systems which don't have the mf-II "scroll-lock" but then you also
have to document this etc. and why make things differ among various
systems when there isn't the need for it?

mkb